Monday 14 February 2011

Problems with Visio 2010 and Access 2007

Today I was asked to install Visio 2010 on to a customer's PC that already had Office 2007 Professional installed.  Knowing that there can be problems with having different versions of Office installed on the same PC, I did a custom install and put Visio 2010 in a separate Program Files folder to the rest of the Office suite.  This normally stops the various versions from fighting with each other.

Alas, in this instance it didn't work.  Once Visio 2010 was installed, Access 2007 refused to open any databases that 15 minutes earlier worked just fine.Visio 2010 on the other hand worked fine.

Running the Office 2007 diagnostics fixed the problem in Access but guess what.....

Next time Visio 2010 is opened it reconfigures itself and breaks Access 2007 again.  What joy!!

A bit of Googling led me to this article .  It turns out that installing Visio 2010 installs a newer version (V14) of the Access Database Engine.  Unfortunately Access 2007 needs V12 to work properly.  To cut a long story short, these two programs, it would appear, cannot be made to live together.  It's one or the other.  Way to go Microsoft.

The thing that surprises me is that the boffins at Microsoft don't see this as a problem and quite seriously suggested doing a repair (which can take 15 minutes) everytime you want to use Access.  I don't think so.

Anyway, I sorted it by putting Visio on a machine that had the 2010 Office suite on and all was well.  Luckily I had that option open to me.  Some offices I visit wouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment