Thursday 6 January 2011

And So It Continues for Microsoft......

Oh dear!  2011 is really getting off to a bad start for Microsoft.  Hot on the heels of the emails of 17,000 odd customers being deleted, it is now being reported that some Hotmail customers are being locked out of their accounts.

And it's not just those using the freebie accounts.  Even those who subscribe to the paid for accounts are having problems.  Microsoft are denying that there is any sort of widespread issue and are advising users to contact the Windows Live Support Site.

Whilst I have used Hotmail (and Yahoo! Mail) for many years for personal stuff,  I am being won over by Google's GMail service.  Especially the way it integrates with my Android Galaxy S phone. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, but Google seem to have linked up with several  other services that I use so that my Google account login now gets me into all sorts of sites without having to re-register.

Whilst it makes life easier, I can't help but feel it is a security risk.  Unlike most people, I do use different usernames and passwords for the various sites I use so that if one gets compromised then I don't have to go round changing them all.

Maybe having 'one login does everything' is just too easy for our own online safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment